The National Parks Department has been working with the city to develop a plan for the future of the park, which has been closed for nearly four years due to the massive flooding that hit it last month.
In a statement released Tuesday, the department stated the plan includes a number of measures, including new park signage, more park facilities and improved public access, but it did not address the issue of the bridge.
“The bridge closure has impacted many residents in Brooklyn and New Jersey, including residents in Queens and Staten Island, who are now facing additional travel challenges,” the statement reads.
“It is important that the public and our community understand that the safety of New York City residents is our number one priority.
The bridge has been a vital transportation link between New York and Brooklyn, and has been the site of significant activity since the 1960s.
While the bridge is closed, it is important to note that the boroughs parks and recreation departments continue to operate as normal and will be open to visitors as normal on Wednesday, March 19, 2019, the city said.
According to the department, the new signage will help improve the pedestrian experience for those who walk the bridge as well as provide information to park users about the bridge closure and the park.
Also on Tuesday, Parks Commissioner Andrew H. Carey Jr. said he had “no idea” if the bridge would reopen.
He said he was hopeful that the city would make a decision soon.”
I’m not going to get into a timeline, but I can tell you that it’s my hope that this bridge closure will not impact the bridge opening as much as it has in the past,” Carey said.